Thursday, May 6, 2010

Breaking a mark

Hip hop is known to be every young man’s favourite trend, the dress code, the talks and the swagger but many fail to keep up with the pressure. Xolani A.K.A Young Chris Mthunzi bets to differ, for him hip hop is a lifestyle. Born in Naturena Xolani grew up in a family full of hip pop heads, the future sure does look bright for this young man.
“I was exposed to hip pop since childhood, so I picked up the culture and values as I grew up. So ja it was an automatic choice and I don’t regret mailing it because it has made me who I am at the moment, a true hip pop head, he said proudly.”

With the popularity of hip hop amongst young people Xolani admits that he admires people like Sean Carter otherwise known as Jay-z and Pro-kid. One of the reasons I like Jay-z is because as a young kid, my brother used to listen to Jay-z a lot and I adapted his style and have looked up to him ever since then. I like Pro-kid because he is a street hip pop artist, and he has energy and I am also like that. Xolani started dancing ever since he was a kid, while growing up he performed solo in a lot of joints and people were interested in what he did. That is when he started a crew. I was inspired by the movie ‘you got served' that is when my friends and I started a break dancing group and we performed in the streets. The crew was called k-otix, but as time went we separated until we reunited in Brixton and formed LAG (ladies and gents). This was started by me and a guy called Mbonisi A.K.A Rage-b, and it has been successful ever since then. The crew features both tertiary and high school students young Chris explained. Break-dance is a form of expression of how I feel, it complements the music that I make and who I really am...young Chris.

The crew is also working on a clothing range called tit-bit. Well I can’t reveal much but you’ll be glad to know that it is going to be a crazy label, just wait and see, he said arrogantly. To add to that I am also working on an album and JJ an underground producer will help produce the album. He added that they did not sign up with any record company to avoid ownership. The crew is free styling and keeping it low until they are strong enough to go nationwide.

So it’s their first album and a clothing label in progress, while they still break dance, and a life time of work to get everything off the ground. Only time will tell whether young Chris’ path will lead in the direction of success.

No comments:

Post a Comment