Wednesday, May 19, 2010

You not skimpy enough for Cubaña!!

                         image from: www.sheetalmakhan.com/2007_05_01_archive.html



I was recently on a trip to Cape Town, when my sister, a few friends and I decided to go to a club. We were club hopping, as the person we were travelling with could not handle four beautiful women by himself. After a long tour around Long Street, we finally decided to go to Cubaña. It a was cold and windy night so we were dressed for the weather, not too casual or too formal, but to our surprise we got turned down by the bouncers telling us that out outfits were not appropriate. I was on some WDF. What the hell do you mean? He looked at us up and down, and said with his Nigerian accent…."your attire is wrong"!!


I was like excuse me, but its 20 degrees outside, I can't go around wearing a skimpy outfit, but even that excuse did not get us a ticket inside the club and we had no choice but to leave the club in disbelief and shock. Along they way, we could not help but wonder about the pressures that society puts on people, young women especially. Going to a club only to be told that your outfit is not revealing enough is a disgrace. It was cold for heaven sake, all weather aside but really what message are those bouncers sending to young girls?


That being descent is not social acceptable or that you need to go around wearing t-shirts as dresses in order to fit in? Such things should be an abomination, its actually worse than being told you not white or black enough to enter the place. All we wanted was a drink and to hang out, what difference will my money make, whether it comes from a person wearing a skimpy outfit or a descent one? Is the value going to be different? I mean who is supposed to bring in the customers. The place itself or women wear when they go clubbing. For a second there I felt sorry for those girls wombs, a night of fun will be lifetime damage to their fertility. Oh, well its life I guess, you do or die! All I can say is: omamakho wazi? (Does your mama know?)

1 comment:

  1. hahaha, ya neh,itwas steven, wel n me..lol xoxo lebonza m,

    ReplyDelete