Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Woof Woof, X-possed!

By Lerato Makomene




When one gets an invite to a designer’s launch party, words like runway, exclusive designs, prominent people, networking, wining and dining with the who‘s who in the media industry comes to mind. I recently got an invite to a designer launch and I rocked up a hot outfit in anticipation of a night to remember. As a journalist I expected out of this world media treatment, front seat row at the fashion show, my name on the chair etc, but to my surprise this particular fashion show was anything but glamorous.

Apparently, the designer, Siyanda Goodlove Nyembe, is an amateur who is still trying to find his feet in the industry but that does not make for the horror show that he put up. He could have at least done his research on how to launch his range. Call me a “snob” or Miss know it all, but I am certain that as you read on you will see the results of my sentiments. Let’s start with the setting of the whole show: there was no runway; the models were walking on the ground barefoot in the coldest night of April. The show started an hour late, and the elderly were the first to arrive dressed like they were going to Moria followed by a bunch of girls dressed in the skimpy outfits, and I must say that was not a deal breaker.

After hours of sitting on a plastic chair with no drinks and listening to young children blabbing about hell knows what, the show finally started. You would think that would improve my mood, but the presenter was wearing denim and pull over at a fashion show!!!! A denim and pull over, am I the only one who sees something wrong with this picture?

The presenter stood in the middle of the chairs which were meant to be a stage and got the crowd excited by telling them that the show was worth the wait because it had a lot to offer like a performance by top 12 idols contestant. So I’m sitting there thinking oh ok, let’s wait and see. She then announced that the show was about to start, a few minutes later the models walked on stage dressed in rags, you could swear that they were attacked by mad wolves backstage. As they walked on stage, the elderly covered their eyes while fashionistas, Simphiwe Majola amongst others, could not believe their eyes. For a second there I thought I was dreaming, hence it took some time before I took pictures. Ok so the range is called X-possed, we get that, but shaving peoples' pubic areas and arse in our faces was rather “disgusting” lack of a better word.

Meanwhile the crowd were clapping in disbelief and a performance by the so-called Beyonce’ wanna-be did not make things any better. The girl came on stage wearing leggings and a corset, and that image is sure to traumatise me for as long as I live. She was singing karaoke to naughty girl while dirty dancing, for a moment there I thought the invite said: you are cordially invited to Siyanda’s bachelor party with a female stripper.
That was by far the worst fashion show I have ever been to, did I mention that the models were dressed in rags?

No comments:

Post a Comment